Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Family Reunion.

*Catch up post from July 4, 2014

As a young girl, I spent a lot of time in Texas.
My family is from Texas, it's where I was born, and despite growing up in Colorado,
 my heart belongs to that wonderful state. 

Although I have spent a great deal of time traveling around and seeing Texas,
my fondest memory of the state is the time I've spent at our family's lake house. 
It's located in Palo Pinto, small town West Texas.
It's surrounded by cactus and rattle snakes and a huge man-made lake.
In essence, it's heaven on earth. 

For as long as I can remember, I have been going to that lake house. 
It's been a part of my family for over 30 years.
My dad spent college summers laying the stone stairs, 
and my grandfather built the dock. 

Placard from our lake house

As a family, we spent just about every 4th of July out there.
Spending days on the lake - learning how to water ski or fishing for 
giant catfish or simply enjoying the rays. 
However, once I began college and business picked up at the store,
we slowly stopped attending Independence Day at the lake house....

Until this year.

After close to eight years of missed attendance, I finally returned to 
my beloved lake house.
As a birthday gift, my eldest sister bought me a ticket to Texas. 
A one week vacation, meant to be spent at our lake house of the 4th of July.
It was like my childhood was rushing right back towards me.

I spent my days soaking up the Texas heat (it averaged 110 degrees most day),
I enjoyed taking walks with my Grandmother and watching the fireworks
and attending the annual catfish fry! 

Thermometer on our porch....that's in the shade too! 

Real Texas-style catfish fry

And I would've enjoyed swimming in the lake; however, Palo Pinto
was experiencing their worst drought when I visited.
It became somewhat of a joke that we had to "mow the lake" rather
than go out and fish in it. 

Dried up Lake Palo Pinto
The true surprise came when my parents - whom claimed to be working
the family business - showed up on the 4th of July.
It was, after eight long years, one big family reunion at the lake house.
We spent the day eating hot dogs, playing on the lake, 
smashing a piƱata (family tradition), and simply
soaking in each others presence.

It was, hands-down, the best 4th of July to date! 

My family!



The Thompson Clan! 

View from the dock - Flags representing all of our colleges

No comments:

Post a Comment